It is official now: I have successfully passed Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Master Exam (at the age of 28 should I add). It took long time preparing for it (years since starting career as Oracle DBA), so there were almost no internal-like blog posts.
- It’s of the most advanced exams in IT for Senior DBAs managing mission critical 24×7 environments (blood-life of any big IT system currently).
- The best place for information on this exam is the OCM page itself, but you are going to fully realize it after the exam
- Costs are insane (OCA, OCP as perquisites + 3 Oracle University trainings[$$$] + cost of the 2-day exam [$$])
- Tempo on the practical exam is insane too, there is no time left for thinking, you literally are doing stuff faster than you can think about it for 2 full days.
- Mistakes costs a lot of time, it is all about skills and speed. If you have skills, but won’t be to perform some Exam Topic under single skill-set time even do not bother thinking about the exam itself.
- You are not allowed to loose your data and I think it is fair to say, if you loose the database (or database availability for too long) you are out of the exam. This is tested but as I’m under NDA I will not go into details.
The stress caused by the number of tasks to be performed plus stress of doing something wrong (fear that you will damage your main production DB) plus constant stress during the exam of something random (like hardware, deliberate actions) failing create truly unique atmosphere during those 2 days… It is like 4 years of growth for Oracle-based IT system compressed into 2 days with all the obstacles and challenges.